Thursday, September 2, 2010

Shannon's comments 14-16

Were you surprised by the way Hilly is described as a loving and attentive mother in chapter 14? Why or why not? Why do you think it comes easily for Hilly to be so loving and giving toward her children when she is generally portrayed as selfish and cruel when crossed?
I was definitely surprised at this description of Hilly. I can’t explain her seemingly genuine affection toward them when she has so much disdain for others. Perhaps she is simply
What are your thoughts on Aibileen's unwillingness to wear Miss Hilly's donated clothes? Would you feel the same kind of reluctance if you were in her place?
Definitely. I think she is justified in not wanting to wear them. I can’t imagine accepting Hilly’s handout like that.
On page 188 Aibileen reflects on white women's revenge. What was your impression of this?
It made me sad that this would be what was expected of me if I were lving back then. It also made me think about how women treat each other now, and how Aibileen’s story rings true. It seems that women have always had a fierce streak in them, and that unfortunately we unleash it at those we feel threatened by. It made me wonder if I’ve ever acted like that, and how I could make it right.
What was your reaction to the murder of Medgar Evers, the NAACP Field Secretary? (Pp.194-196) How do you think this will affect the book of stories, if at all?
I thought Stockett did a good job communicating how this event would have affected the black community at the time. I think this event is going to prompt more maids to come forward.
What did you think of the story Aibileen made up for Mae Mobley about the white and black little girls on page 200? Why do you think she did this? Do you think it will have any impact on Mae Mobley's impression of the races? Do you think Aibileen will get caught telling a story like that to a three-year-old?
I think Aibileen’s story is a creative way for her to teach Mae what is right. She’s been telling her that she’s a good, kind girl, but now she has a chance to teach her something about treating others right. I hope it has an impact on Mae.
On p. 199 Elizabeth's mother says that it is the maid's “job to make sure Mae Mobley has good manners.” What do you think of this comment?
I couldn’t help but laugh. Since when did it become someone else’s job to ensure your child has proper manners? Once again, the white women of the south have a pattern of blaming all their problems on the negligence of their help while taking credit for things they could have never accomplished without them.
What did you think of Hilly and Skeeter's confrontation at the pool? Do you think Aibileen and Skeeter are foolish to feel relief about how this situation turned out? Do you think Hilly knows or suspects anything about Skeeter or the maids that she didn't mention during their conversation?
I don’t think Hilly knows, but I could be wrong. I thought it was interesting that Hilly broke down about William’s campaign and stuff. I also thought Skeeter was pretty bold to just bring it up like that, I wish I was more like her.
In chapter 16, Aibileen attends a community concerns meeting that is all about grieving Medgar Ever's death by praying and taking part in civil disobedience and peaceful demonstration. What do you think unanswered prayers and slow progress and huge setbacks must have felt like for blacks in Jackson, MS during this time period?
It makes me think about the Hollygrove neighborhood here in New Orleans. Many of the families who live there have been praying that things would get better for years but just when things seem like they might be calming down there’s another shooting, another robbery, another dealer trying to teach their babies how to hustle. I’m reminded of David’s words in the psalms, “How long will you hide your face from me, oh Lord?” I think its at times when God seems absent that our faith is tested the most, so I am really impressed at how faithful they were during the civil rights movent, always holding out hope that things could be different.
Were you surprised at all by Hilly's maid, Yule May's reaction to Aibileen when she asked her to tell her stories for the book? Why or why not?
No. Working for Hilly I bet Yule May has an earful to tell. She also seems to have a strength in her that the other maids don’t have. I’m excited to see what she says.

2 comments:

JenJen said...

Were you surprised by the way Hilly is described as a loving and attentive mother in chapter 14? Why or why not? Why do you think it comes easily for Hilly to be so loving and giving toward her children when she is generally portrayed as selfish and cruel when crossed?

I was pretty surprised by Hilly's mothering. I guess her kids have fit into her life plan and, with the help of a maid, she hasn't been terribly inconvenienced by them, or at least not in ways she didn't anticipate. I imagine her patience and affection for her children would dissipate if her children can't or won't live up to her expectations. Some people also seem to have limitless love and acceptance for children that they have for no one else. I'm not sure why Stockett wrote her character this way. Maybe just for the sake of adding complexity. Despite how awful Hilly seems to some, (mostly to the non-white crowd), she is still one of Skeeter's oldest friends and beloved by her children. We as readers can't dislike her completely. Darn it!

What are your thoughts on Aibileen's unwillingness to wear Miss Hilly's donated clothes? Would you feel the same kind of reluctance if you were in her place?

I think if I were in Aibileen's place I would also be reluctant to wear Hilly's clothes. First of all, I'm not a fan of Hilly's and having her insignia on my person would unnerve me. Secondly, I do not like forced charity and, even though I may not tell her to her face, I would reject Hilly's giving as rude and refuse to wear her stuff on principle.

On page 188 Aibileen reflects on white women's revenge. What were your impressions about this?

Yikes! That was my main reaction. This is spiteful behavior in the extreme. It reminds me of Hollywood's portrayal of how the mean, popular girls in high school supposedly try and destroy any girl who crosses them. What is it that women think they are proving with this kind of behavior? Their superiority complex becomes the biggest sign of their inferiority. I won't delude myself into thinking I have never behaved with a superiority complex that led to wanting others to feel how small they are to me. I'm ashamed to admit I fight this attitude sometimes. I hope it never grows into a mindset that hopes for another's ruin because they crossed me, or for any other reason for that matter.

What was your reaction to the murder of Medgar Evers, the NAACP Field Secretary? (Pp.194-196) How do you think this will affect the book of stories, if at all?

I was so disappointed for everyone, for whites and blacks alike. It pained me to be reminded of this kind of hate and fear-mongering over racial rights. Wow! I hope that this will be a catalyst that will encourage more maids to take part in helping with the book. First, I would expect them to need to get over all of the extra shock and fear that has come on as a result of this tragedy.

JenJen said...

What did you think of the story Aibileen made up for Mae Mobley about the white and black little girls on page 200? Why do you think she did this? Do you think it will have any impact on Mae Mobley's impression of the races? Do you think Aibileen will get caught telling a story like that to a three-year-old?

I agree with you, Shannon, that Aibileen needed to move on from teaching Mae Mobley about her own significance to teaching her about the significance and acceptance of others. You can't be a kind girl, after all, without treating others kindly. I hope it makes an impression. I hope she tells her more stories like this. Judging by Stockett's enjoyment in causing confrontations, I would guess, yes, Aibileen will get caught teaching these things to Mae Mobley.

On p. 199 Elizabeth's mother says that it is the maid's “job to make sure Mae Mobley has good manners.” What do you think of this comment?

I had just about the same reaction as you, Shannon. I laughed also. What a dumb thing to say. Who is raising these children, after all? Is it the maid's job to care for their physical needs and teach them every good virtue while it's their parents' job to teach them every bad quality? Where do the parents come in and take up their mantle from these “inferior” black maids? This is too ridiculous. Some strange kinds of jealousy must have existed in the relationships between parents and maids.

What did you think of Hilly and Skeeter's confrontation at the pool? Do you think Aibileen and Skeeter are foolish to feel relief about how this situation turned out? Do you think Hilly knows or suspects anything about Skeeter or the maids that she didn't mention during their conversation?

I couldn't believe the conversation between Hilly and Skeeter went down like that. I don't think Hilly knows the half of what's going on or else things would have been a lot uglier. Shannon, I liked how you pointed out that Hilly broke down and revealed her exhaustion and worry over her husband's campaign. Once again, I am conflicted by trying to understand Hilly despite my dislike for her.

In chapter 16, Aibileen attends a community concerns meeting that is all about grieving Medgar Ever's death by praying and taking part in civil disobedience and peaceful demonstration. What do you think unanswered prayers and slow progress and huge setbacks must have felt like for blacks in Jackson, MS during this time period?

I think they must have felt how Shannon described them, how anyone would describe desperate unanswered prayers when we are even willing to attempt descriptions. They are painful and exhausting and they test your faith beyond the limits you thought you had. It is such a struggle to stay active and positive during this kind of struggle.

Were you surprised at all by Hilly's maid, Yule May's reaction to Aibileen when she asked her to tell her stories for the book? Why or why not?

I was a little surprised because it is such a risk. However, I think Shannon is right in her assessment of Yule May. She has an inner strength that will hopefully inspire other maids as well.

Were there any special touches or literary devices you noticed in these chapters?

A special touch I noticed and enjoyed was when Aibileen referred to her asking other maids to take part in the book of interviews as similar to selling a product like Kiki Brown's “lemon smell-good polish (205).” It's something she knows nobody wants and they probably find it offensive, but yet, she is proud of it just the same.